The Church of St James the Apostle
The present church was consecrated in 1837 but the first mention of a resident priest
can be found in the Domesday Survey of 1086 which would suggest that there was some
form of church in Hartlebury at that time. Bishop Samson (1096 -
The present church was built on the foundations of the 13th century building and it’s total cost was £7,000, the sandstone being quarried in nearby Quarry Bank and Chadwick. There are portions of the earlier buildings still visible in the fabric of the present church.
The Congregation of St James has published a very informative leaflet giving a detailed history of the building and these leaflets are available in the church.
The Church Yard
Prior to 1834 the Churchyard consisted only of the area north and east of the Church and for 600 years the small area was the only burial ground. A drawing of the old Church, which is in the Vestry, shows the road to the Church coming through what is now the garden of Church House. It shows the old cross, complete with the stocks at the base. The Cross was erected in 1666, but it is not known for what purpose or why it was built. It was possibly to commemorate the Great Plague of 1665 or the Great Fire of London in 1666. In 1839 it was pulled down by a farmer's team and broken into pieces.
Today's Churchyards provide tranquillity and interest -
In St. James Churchyard there are the graves of five Bishops of Worcester, two are